"West Bridge, Enniskillen during its construction"
West Bridge, Enniskillen during its construction. During the 1880s and 1890s the Board of Works under the direction of its engineer, James Pierce, undertook a major drainage scheme of Lough Erne. As part of the scheme the earlier three arch bridge was replaced between 1885-1892 by this the bridge and two deep channels were made in the river bed on either side of its central pier. This view in 1888 shows the river diverted around the north side of the island and the laborious work of clearing the river bed progressing well. 500 men were employed to do the work at the rate of 2/6 a day.