"Crum Castle, Lord Erne's Place, Lough Erne"
Thurlow, Edward Hovell
[Crom, Co. Fermanagh]
Watercolour on paper
The 17th century Crom Castle is shown in ruins on the right, a building which the Crichton family probably continued to occupy until it was destroyed by fire in 1764. According to tradition, Abraham Crichton was attending a house warming party in Florence Court, when he saw the fire at Crom lighting up the sky. On the left, rising above the horizon, is the present Crom Castle, built for the Crichton family in 1838 by the English architect Edward Blore and rebuilt, after a fire, in 1841, by Dublin architect George Sudden. The watercolorist and garden designer, William Sawrey Gilpin designed the park of the new castle, and may also have embellished the gardens and bawn of the old castle.
Purchased with assistance from the Museum Friends