"The Bishop's Stone"
This 12th century carving of a bishop, one of four unusual figurative sculptures of that period from Aghalurcher graveyard, near Lisnaskea, was probably part of a Romanesque church on the site. The bishop, shown with long bearded face and wide ears, wears a conical mitre, a belt and a short skirt, and holds a sharply pointed crozier and a decorated gospel book or book shrine. Twelfth century carvings of bishops are also found on a number of High Crosses, reflecting the improved status and importance of bishops following the diocesan reforms of the Irish Church at that time. Formerly, the stone was used as a gravestone, and, according to tradition, marked the burial place of Bishop Roger or Ross Maguire, who died in 1483.
Kindly lent by the Historic Environment Division, DfC
Historic Environment Division, DfC