"Lough Erne, County Fermanagh"
Burgess, James Howard
This lithograph illustrates hare coursing beside the monastic ruins on Devenish Island. In the background is the presence of numerous sailing boats. Nearly sixty years after this print was published, the Fermanagh Coursing Club was founded in 1895 in Enniskillen with the aim of holding meetings on Devenish Island twice a year. A good crowd turned up for the first coursing meeting in November 1895 but the day was unsuccessful because there were not enough hares and the grass was too long. ( 'A Voyage Round Fermanagh' exhibition, February 2010 - May 2010)
Presented to the Museum by the Earl of Belmore